Friday, February 4, 2011

My Cab Driver is Better Than Yours.

      I will never forget the night I met the coolest cab driver in Savannah. It was a warm night downtown in Savannah, August 2010. I had just gotten into a little fight with my boyfriend at Sweet Melissa's, while we were awaiting our 3AM pizza. We won't go into the fight because it includes another person with whom I have since cleared things up with. (No need to rehash). However, I will tell you the fight ended with me explaining to my man "If you want to stay here then you stay, but I'm leaving, and I won't forget your decision." Of course, sticking to our normal routine we were perfectly fine the next morning. I forgave hime for not speaking up and he forgave me for worrying him by disappearing downtown leaving him with my cell phone and no way to find if I'm safe. Needless to say, we were all intoxicated.
     Drunk and heated, I only gave him 2 seconds to respond before I spun around and fled the scene. As my hot, vodka filled, tears beaded down my face, I pushed forward walking block after block, not excluding shady back alleys. Finally, when I began to sober up, I realized I couldn't wander around downtown all night. I was sick of hearing the wannabe "Nights in Shining Armor" telling me that I'd be much prettier if I smiled, or that they would never make me cry. These pick up lines, annoying enough themselves were followed by either a 3 minute stalking session, or a plea to "get those digits girl." What is it about a drunk crying girl that gets you guys all in a tizzy? A bit slimy, gents.
     Finally, my journey was over. I had spotted my TRUE Knight In Shining Armor waiting for me. He was an older gentleman with shaggy grey hair. Leaning against his yellow, metal, steed; he welcomed me with a smile and asked if I needed a ride. "Yes, yes I do actually." I would have been happy with a simple ride, but this was one rad dude. We talked about life, Savannah, music, etc. He had a kind of hippie-ish mellow voice and with every "yeah dude" or "totally" my blood began to cool from boiling back down to body temp. As I paid him, got out of his cab and turned to say goodbye, I assured him that I would be telling all of my friends how awesome he really is.
     I was true to my word, my friends and I call him all the time. I have handed out about a dozen of his cards and talk about him whenever the subjects of cabs or drunk driving come up. He takes me and my friend Natalia downtown every weekend. He picks us up from lunch. He takes us to work and guitar lessons. If you call him he will be there with minutes to spare. He never fusses if we keep him waiting a few minutes for a last minute drink, wardrobe change, or even a trip to the potty! Yes ladies and gentlemen, it's been a little over a year since I first met him, and I still know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Henry Hilliard is truly the most fabulous cab driver in Savannah. If you ever need a ride in Savannah GA call (912) 234-6006.

No comments:

Post a Comment