Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Spirit in the Sky

     I think the first thing that went through my head is deep regret for not calling or visiting closer to these two family members deaths. It's a horrible feeling that mixes with the sorrow for the other family members as well as the sadness of your personal loss. Losing these two family members in less than two weeks of each other has made me realize there is no excuse for losing contact with the ones you love. You never know what's around the corner. I'm going to try my hardest to soak up the good times with my family from this point on. I miss my Papa and my Aunt Patty so much but I know they are watching over all of their loved ones.


My Papa! What a character. Anytime I would call him I looked forward to our usual banter. "Are you keeping your parents in check?" My reply: "Papa you know that's impossible, didn't you try that for 20 years with my dad...and you didn't even have Mom to worry about!" Okay....doesn't seem that funny, but it was to us. I will never forget is love for a good laugh. It seemed visits to Papa's house meant hearing a hundred new jokes, and hearing a hundred new stories about my dad and his two brothers or my grandmother (who passed away a few years ago as well). I remember our family trips to Myrtle Beach and various other places. I will always appreciate those trips and vacations that were made even when he wasn't feeling in tip top shape. He had such a unique relationship with all of his grandchildren, all of his sons, and all of his daughter in-laws. He attended church regularly, was a war veteran, and a family man. I miss my Papa and he was one of the wonderful men in my life who open my eyes to the type of man I want to end up with for myself. Devoted to his family until the end, he lead and shared a full beautiful life and I'm so glad to have had such a wonderful Grandpa. Rest in Peace Papa.
Papa and I in Myrtle Beach. 2006 Patterson Family Vacation.










     I loved my Aunt Patty. She was actually my cousin.... that's what having a close knit extended family will do to you. Her organization is still something that inspires me! Her kind words will always be with me. I think the memory that has kept replaying in my mind of my Aunt Patty was last summer when she asked me what my plans were right now with work and school. I normally dread this question at family gatherings, because, as you can tell from my previous blogs, I'm not where I want to be in life right now. However, Aunt Patty seemed to ask in such a gentle way and so I opened up. I didn't give my usual, "Oh just working and trying to go back to school." I truly opened up about my plans (at the time) to continue working for Coach Wayne Gymnastics and hopefully soon be able to run one of his new "home base" gyms that he plans to open up in another state. I remember how wonderful it felt to have her look at me and smile and say well it's always good to do something you're passionate about, and you've always loved  gymnastics (I'm sure I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along those supportive lines). She fought a good fight against cancer, raised two wonderful daughters, and touched every life she came into contact with. The way she cared for others on such an individual level will inspire me forever. Rest in Peace Aunt Patty.


From right all the way around the table: Aunt Patty, her two daughters Kelly and Julie, her two nieces (true nieces) Ashley and Krista, her sister in-law (more like sisters) Marie, brother-in-law Billy and husband Pat. This family was/is very tight knit, strong, and beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment